THE MOORE-LAMPMAN HOUSE 1853
44 Clairmont Street, Thorold
Cultural Heritage Value
This house is situated in a quiet, residential neighbourhood east of Thorold's historic downtown and constructed in 1853 for Jones Moore, a wholesale grocer. From the time the house was built to 1966, it has been in the Moore-Lampman family, serving not only as a domestic residence but also as an office for Frederick Lampman's law practice and later Amelia Jane's boarding and day school. It was the home of three generations of the Moore-Lampman family, all of whom played an active role in the community and social life of Thorold, and were specially devoted to St.John's Church. Today it continues to be an appealing landmark on one of Thorold's tree-lined residential streets, just as it has done for more than 150 years.
This house is a one and one-half storey, three bay, timber frame house with a gable roof and Greek Revival-style eaves returns. To the rear is a kitchen wing built at the same time or very shortly after. The 2nd storey of the rear wing was a later addition c.1890. Built on a rubble stone foundation, the house has its original clapboard exterior, windows and shutters. It is finished with milled beaded corner boards and wide cornice boards with moulded details in the end gables and below the eaves. The house has three chimneys - one in each of the end gables and one in the rear wing The special treatment of the central front door with decorative mouldings, transom and projecting lintel, gives the house an attractive presence on the street, focussing attention on the principal doorway. The two evenly-spaced windows add to the distinctive symmetry, which is further emphasized by the addition of the front gable c.1890. The distinctive architectural features of this house have been carefully maintained and cared for by the various owners. Designation of the exterior of the house excludes the woodshed.
Jones Moore was born in Livingston County, N.Y. His wife Caroline (Pew) Moore was born in Stamford Township, and they were married in 1847. They resided in Thorold where Jones Moore ran a wholesale grocery business on Mill Street. In the late 1840's Thorold was expanding and by 1850 it had been incorporated as a village. The 1st and 2nd Welland Canals around which the village grew, provided a cheap and easy means to transport goods as well as a constant supply of water to run the mills; the expansion of the workforce in the community would have created an ever-increasing demand for foodstuffs and provisions. Jones Moore was a practical and successful businessman, owning property on the east side of Chapel Street, lots on Wellington Street and Front St. North. Jones Moore built this house on the north side of Clairmont Street (originally known as Mill Street) in the Rolls Survey, in 1853 and it remained in the Moore-Lampman family for 113 years when it was sold in 1966 and again in 1978.
For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.
Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree