43 Welland St. South

The Millar family is among familiar names associated with Thorold during the late Victorian era. In 1866, James Millar began his business as a merchant and tailor in Thorold. His establishment at 31 Front St. south was burned out in a disastrous fire that devastated downtown Thorold; fortunately he was able to successfully rebuild his business. He was very active in the community as a member of the Thorold School Board and the Beneficiary Secretary for the year of 1897 for the Royal Templars of Temperance. In 1897 he was a member of the Thorold Board of Trade as a councillor. He was a member of the Methodist Church (Trinity) and president of the Sunday School Convention.

There were 6 children born to James and Ann (Mair) Millar. One of the sons, David E. Millar, followed in his father's footsteps and worked as a tailor in the family business. From 1906-1907, he was Mayor of the Town of Thorold.

The original owner of the house was William England. In 1901, Henrietta June England, as executrix of the Estate of William England, sold the house at 43 Welland St. South to David E. Millar. The house remained in the Millar family until 1992.

For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.

Designated Properties

Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree
Allanburg United Church
Allanburg Village Cemetery

Beaverdams Burying Grounds

Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard

Beckett’s Reserve, Duncan McFarland House,
Stephen Beatty House

Calcott-Walker House

Camp House

Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery

Carnegie Library

Carr-Millar-McMillan Block
Carroll-Tracy House
Carter-Holland House

Chestnut Hall

Constable House

Decew Young House

Decou House Monument

Dobbie House
Dominion Government Building
East Side School Bell
Fire Bell

First Presbyterian Church

Flannery House
Fraser-McMann House
George Bouk House

Grenville House

Griffiths House
Kennedy-Ward House
L.G. Lorriman/Central School
Lynch House
Macartney Drug Store

Memorial Park

Millar House
Millstone - Welland Mills

Moore-Lampman House
Munro House
O'Brien House
Old Firehall
Port Robinson Brick School

Quebec Bank

Robert Elliot House

Ross House

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church

Sir Edward Beatty House

Stewart House

The Stone Store

Trinity United Church
War Memorial

Welland Canal 2nd River Lock

Welland Mills