GRENVILLE HOUSE 1856
7 Queen St. S.

The rich story of the Grenville family indicates that this home is historically significant. The Grenvilles were involved in Thorold both politically and through their entrepreneurship.  The house, of classical Revival style with the L-shape drawn from Gothic Revival, was built about 1856. It was originally built for Thomas Spinks, a native of Ireland. The first Grenvilles to settle in Thorold were Daniel Sorby Crenville (from England), bom 1788 and his wife Anne Maria Bouman (from New Jersey whose family were United Empire Loyalists). Anne Maria's father served with Butler's Rangers and Daniel was a gunner during the War of 1812.  Daniel and Anne Maria assisted settlers in 1812 during the American invasion. In 1871 John and Thomas Grenville assumed ownership of 7 Queen St. South. They were partners in a blacksmith and carriage business and erected the large three story stone building on Albert Street, known as Grenville Hall, which housed the carriage business. The upper story of Grenville Hall was used as a meeting place by many lodges, as well as the Presbyterians before constructing their first brick church on Ormond Street.

John Grenville served as Ensign to Lieutenant of the 1st Battalion in 1862. He was a member of Council when the village of Thorold was incorporated into a town in 1875, and became the first Reeve, serving in this capacity again in 1877. He was elected Mayor in l879-80, and served as postmaster for 12 years. Although rejected by the government of the day, his proposal of the Grenville route for the Welland Canal from Allanburgh to the mountain brow west of Thorold (which would have led it to Port Dalhousie in almost a straight line), gave him prominence beyond Thorold. John and his wife Mercy Ett Wheeler had six children; his son Walter worked for Sir W.F.Howland of the Welland Mills.  Walter later started an asbestos and wallboard business in Thorold, served on Council for 4 years, as Reeve for 3 and as Thorold's tax collector and assessor for 2 years.  Another son, Thomas was a painter and partner with A.T.Stanley in the firm Stanley & Grenville, located on Albert Street. John D.Grenville was named Master Workman for the Summit Lodge.  His son Charles fought in W.W.I with the 86th machine gun section and was killed at age 28 at Vimy Ridge. May Grenville served as a nurse overseas; she received a medal for her work at Verdun.  In 1933, during the depression, May came home and started a knitting business that grew into a large enterprise.  The Mail & Empire newspaper, Toronto and the Monarch Knitting Co, recognized her. The house remained in the Grenville family until 1981; in 1993 it was sold to its present owner.

For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.

Designated Properties

Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree
Allanburg United Church
Allanburg Village Cemetery

Beaverdams Burying Grounds

Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard

Beckett’s Reserve, Duncan McFarland House,
Stephen Beatty House

Calcott-Walker House

Camp House

Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery

Carnegie Library

Carr-Millar-McMillan Block
Carroll-Tracy House
Carter-Holland House

Chestnut Hall

Constable House

Decew Young House

Decou House Monument

Dobbie House
Dominion Government Building
East Side School Bell
Fire Bell

First Presbyterian Church

Flannery House
Fraser-McMann House
George Bouk House

Grenville House

Griffiths House
Kennedy-Ward House
L.G. Lorriman/Central School
Lynch House
Macartney Drug Store
Maplehurst

Memorial Park

Millar House
Millstone - Welland Mills

Moore-Lampman House
Munro House
O'Brien House
Old Firehall
Port Robinson Brick School

Quebec Bank

Robert Elliot House

Ross House

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church

Sir Edward Beatty House

Stewart House

The Stone Store

Trinity United Church
War Memorial

Welland Canal 2nd River Lock

Welland Mills