14 Ormond St. N - GPS N43 07.562  -  W079 11.932

Chestnut Hall was built for John McDonagh, a lumber merchant who served as Reeve of the Village of Thorold from 1871 to 1874, then as Mayor of the Town of Thorold from 1881-1884. McDonagh's widow left the house to St. John's Anglican Church, which used it as a manse for a few months before selling it in 1920 to the Great War Veterans' Association (later the Canadian Legion). Chestnut Hall has also housed the former Town of Thorold Municipal Offices and the Regional Health Department. Currently it is the home of the Thorold and Beaverdams Historical Society and the Thorold Museum as well as forming part of the Thorold Public Library.
The main section of this building is two storeys high with a bay window on the first floor extending to an open porch on the second floor. There are five different sections in the house, indicating that additions were built at various times. The rear addition has interesting arched windows which are very different from those in the main part of the house. The house has a low hipped roof with a plain boxed cornice and bracketed shelf over the main entrance.

For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.

Designated Properties

Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree
Allanburg United Church
Allanburg Village Cemetery

Beaverdams Burying Grounds

Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard

Beckett’s Reserve, Duncan McFarland House,
Stephen Beatty House

Calcott-Walker House

Camp House

Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery

Carnegie Library

Carr-Millar-McMillan Block
Carroll-Tracy House
Carter-Holland House

Chestnut Hall

Constable House

Decew Young House

Decou House Monument

Dobbie House
Dominion Government Building
East Side School Bell
Fire Bell

First Presbyterian Church

Flannery House
Fraser-McMann House
George Bouk House

Grenville House

Griffiths House
Kennedy-Ward House
L.G. Lorriman/Central School
Lynch House
Macartney Drug Store

Memorial Park

Millar House
Millstone - Welland Mills

Moore-Lampman House
Munro House
O'Brien House
Old Firehall
Port Robinson Brick School

Quebec Bank

Robert Elliot House

Ross House

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church

Sir Edward Beatty House

Stewart House

The Stone Store

Trinity United Church
War Memorial

Welland Canal 2nd River Lock

Welland Mills