BEAVERDAMS METHODIST CHURCH & GRAVEYARD 1832
Marlatts Rd. GPS N43 06.310  -  W079 13.106

Beaverdams Church is the oldest Methodist church still standing in Ontario and also the oldest to have remained in continuous use. It was constructed three years following the passing of an 1829 Act "for the relief of religious societies" whereby trusteeships could be formed to own property and construct churches. Beaverdams was the oldest and chief settlement lying wholly in Thorold Township. This community had the first township post office, and other amenities. On June 26, 1832 the deed of this one acre site was transferred from Hiram Swayze to the trustees of Beaverdams Methodist Episcopal Church.  The date of construction and the contractor are unknown as some records have been lost to history. Warren Moore was the first child to be baptized in this church. Sunday school was first organized in 1840. On June 19 & 20, 1932 the Centennial Celebration was conducted by Rev. Judson Kelly, a descendent of Isaac Kelly who was the first white child born in Thorold Township. Also participating in the service were Rev. T.H. Bole, Rev. Harvey Forster, and six other ministers of the United Church.  In 1965 Ms. Ethel Swayze, a descendent of Hiram Swayze, unveiled an historical plaque. This church is the site of the first "free school" in Canada (1847) organized by Rev. Egerton Ryerson, the father of education in Ontario.

The site includes a cemetery in which are buried a number of notable people from the time of construction, before, and after that era. The first recorded burial is of Daniel Totten. Others interred therein include: Hiram Swayze, Isaac Kelly, and Obadiah Hopkins.

If you would like to contribute to or be part of the restoration of historic Beaverdams Church, please contact
the Friends via beaverdamschurch@gmail.com.
More information about upcoming events can be found at the website at:
www.friendsofbeaverdamschurch.com
Facebook at www.facebook.com/historic.beaverdams.church or
Twitter at @tweetBeaverdams.

Donations can now also be made directly and securely at the website through PayPal.

For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.

Designated Properties

Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree
Allanburg United Church
Allanburg Village Cemetery

Beaverdams Burying Grounds

Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard

Beckett’s Reserve, Duncan McFarland House,
Stephen Beatty House

Calcott-Walker House

Camp House

Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery

Carnegie Library

Carr-Millar-McMillan Block
Carroll-Tracy House
Carter-Holland House

Chestnut Hall

Constable House

Decew Young House

Decou House Monument

Dobbie House
Dominion Government Building
East Side School Bell
Fire Bell

First Presbyterian Church

Flannery House
Fraser-McMann House
George Bouk House

Grenville House

Griffiths House
Kennedy-Ward House
L.G. Lorriman/Central School
Lynch House
Macartney Drug Store
Maplehurst

Memorial Park

Millar House
Millstone - Welland Mills

Moore-Lampman House
Munro House
O'Brien House
Old Firehall
Port Robinson Brick School

Quebec Bank

Robert Elliot House

Ross House

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church

Sir Edward Beatty House

Stewart House

The Stone Store

Trinity United Church
War Memorial

Welland Canal 2nd River Lock

Welland Mills