2364 Centre St.
- GPS N43 04.697 - W079 12.522

The first Methodist circuit organized near Allanburg was the Niagara Circuit under Thomas Demorest and William Ryerson. Thorold remained part of the St.Catharines circuit from 1832 to 1854; by 1841 the first Methodist Society of Allanburg was formed. Allanburg became part of the Thorold circuit in 1854 along with Thorold, Fonthill, Port Robinson and St.John's West.  In November 1857 a lot was obtained and a trustee board consisting of Daniel Williams, Benjah Williams, George Williams and William Ware was elected. The first church, a white frame building, was built across from the town hall in 1858.

After 15 years the congregation had outgrown the first church. Lots 83 and 84 on the east side of Centre St. were purchased from John Brown in April 1876. The Rev. Mr. Maxwell of St.Catharines spoke at the dedication of the new church on December 24, 1876. The new church became a focal point for the Allanburg community. The first person baptized in the new church was Sarah Huffa, the daughter of Mr.& Mrs. John Huffa, in December 1876. The church celebrated its Diamond Jubilee in September 1935.

The church occupies its original site and is the only surviving building in the village of Allanburg constructed solely for use as a church, and therefore is an important visual landmark in the context of the village.

This red brick church set on a stone foundation was built in 1876. It is built in the Italianate style with round arched door and window openings that are capped by elaborate hood mouldings of corbelled brick. Identical brick pilasters accent its four corners. Under the eaves of the north, west and south sides a frieze of corbelled bricks imitates the wooden eave brackets common on many Italianate buildings.

Above the front doors is a transom window with a tympanum under the arch. Within the tympanum is a circular window on which is painted the legend "Methodist Church A.D.1876." Beneath the front gable is a quatrefoil window accented by an arched moulding of corbelled brick.

For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.

Designated Properties

Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree
Allanburg United Church
Allanburg Village Cemetery

Beaverdams Burying Grounds

Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard

Beckett’s Reserve, Duncan McFarland House,
Stephen Beatty House

Calcott-Walker House

Camp House

Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery

Carnegie Library

Carr-Millar-McMillan Block
Carroll-Tracy House
Carter-Holland House

Chestnut Hall

Constable House

Decew Young House

Decou House Monument

Dobbie House
Dominion Government Building
East Side School Bell
Fire Bell

First Presbyterian Church

Flannery House
Fraser-McMann House
George Bouk House

Grenville House

Griffiths House
Kennedy-Ward House
L.G. Lorriman/Central School
Lynch House
Macartney Drug Store

Memorial Park

Millar House
Millstone - Welland Mills

Moore-Lampman House
Munro House
O'Brien House
Old Firehall
Port Robinson Brick School

Quebec Bank

Robert Elliot House

Ross House

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church

Sir Edward Beatty House

Stewart House

The Stone Store

Trinity United Church
War Memorial

Welland Canal 2nd River Lock

Welland Mills